Since 1 April 2011, if you or your partner has needed regular overnight care and support you may have been entitled to more Housing Benefit. If a carer (or team of carers) needs to regularly stay overnight and you have a bedroom set aside for them to use, we can now take this into account in working out how much you are entitled to.
To qualify for this extra benefit you need to be able to answer ‘yes’ to all the following questions:
- Do you live in a privately rented home (not including one rented from a housing association)?
- Do you or your partner receive Attendance Allowance or the middle or highest rate of Disability Living Allowance, or can you prove that overnight care is needed?
- Have you actually arranged for care to be provided by someone (or a team of people) and they do not usually occupy your property as their home?
- Does this person or people regularly stay overnight to provide this care?
- Do you have an extra bedroom which they use when they are staying?
We will need to see proof that overnight care is needed (such as a doctor’s letter). We will also need to see proof that the care is actually being given.
If you think you may be entitled to this extra benefit please do not hesitate, contact us immediately using the contact details in the box on the right.